Chicken coop predator proofing is essential to ensure chickens are not lost to predators. Every location has predators so it is important to know which are prevalent in your local area. Common predators include dogs, raccoons, coyote, possums, snakes, hawks, mink, and weasels.
There are 6 basic steps to predator proofing a chicken coop
- Build with real wood and metal – no prefab kits or 1×2’s
- Minimize all gaps to 1/2″ or less
- Use 16 or 19 gauge hardware cloth in 1/2″ mesh
- Install a 14 or 16 gauge predator apron
- Cover your chicken run
- Install upgraded latches and back-up with carabiners